Thursday, 15 May 2014

Turkey mining minister: death toll rises to 274

 

Energy Minister Taner Yildiz had earlier said that 787 people were inside the coal mine at the time of Tuesday’s explosion, and 363 of the miners had been rescued.
The death toll topped a 1992 gas explosion that killed 263 workers near Turkey’s Black Sea port of Zonguldak. It also left 150 miners still unaccounted for.
Mr. Yildiz said rescue workers were trying late on Wednesday to reach the bodies of up to 22 people trapped in one zone. Some of the workers were 1,400 feet deep inside the mine, he said.
One rescue worker who declined to be named said he led a ten-man team about half a mile down into the mine’s tunnels, where they recovered three bodies before being forced to flee because of smoke from burning coal. Rescue operations were halted for several hours on Thursday morning because high gas concentrations in the mine needed to be cleared.
Mr. Erdogan declared three days of national mourning and postponed a trip to Albania to visit the mine. He warned that some radical groups would try to use the disaster to discredit his government.
“Our hope is that, God willing, they will be brought out,” Mr. Erdogan said of those still trapped. “That is what we are waiting for.”
At a news conference, he tried to deflect a question about who was responsible for the disaster, saying, “These types of things in mines happen all the time.”
“These are ordinary things. There is a thing in literature called ‘work accident’. It happens in other work places, too. It happened here. It’s in its nature. It’s not possible for there to be no accidents in mines. Of course we were deeply pained by the extent here,” he said.
In downtown Soma, protesters, most in their teens and 20s, faced off against riot police in front of the ruling NKP party headquarters, smashing its windows with rocks.
Mr. Erdogan has been dogged by corruption allegations and was forced to oust four government ministers in December after they were implicated in a police-bribery probe. The scandal deepened after audio recordings were posted on the Internet suggesting corruption by the Prime Minister and his family members. Mr. Erdogan has denied the allegations and said they were a plot to discredit his government.
In Istanbul, hundreds of demonstrators gathered outside the headquarters of Soma Komur Isletmeleri AS — which owns the mine. Police used tear gas and water cannons to break up a group who tried to march to Istanbul’s iconic Taksim Square to denounce poor safety conditions.
Police also dispersed a group marching to the Energy Ministry in Ankara to protest the deaths.
Fences were erected and police stood guard outside Soma’s hospital, where scores of the injured were being treated. Some residents said the men were being pressured by the mining company not to talk about the blast.
Authorities said the disaster followed an explosion and fire at a power distribution unit and most deaths were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. Mr. Erdogan promised the tragedy would be investigated to its “smallest detail” and that “no negligence will be ignored.”
Turkey’s Labor and Social Security Ministry said the mine had been inspected five times since 2012, most recently in March, and that no safety violations were detected. But the country’s main opposition party said Mr. Erdogan’s ruling party had recently voted down a proposal to hold a parliamentary inquiry into a series of small-scale accidents at the mines around Soma. 
Ref: http://www.thehindu.com/news/turkey-mining-disaster-death-toll-rises-to-274/article6011309.ece
Follow on twitter @salau01

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related news

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...